Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Day 299, Oct 26 / Ichabod Pumpkin Ale


Day 299 / October 26, 2011

New Holland Brewing Company / Holland, MI

A
NG
P
G
VG
O

It’s the Great Pumpkin Beer Run, Charlie Brown!

When I was a young kid, I didn’t think I liked pumpkin pie.  I mean, gross, right?  The only thing I liked about pumpkins was scooping all the insides out at Halloween and carving a jack’o’lantern.  And who’d want to each something made with all that gunk?

But then, one Thanksgiving at Grandma’s house, I was a brave little boy and I tried a bite of pumpkin pie… and it was pretty good!  And now I’m a fan of most things pumpkin.  My sister-in-law makes a great pumpkin torte.  My wife’s pumpkin cheesecake with a ginger snap crust is awesome.  And you know what else is good?  Take a regular slice of pumpkin pie with whipped cream, and then drizzle a little real maple syrup (not Log Cabin) over the top.  But pumpkin soup?  Not so much.

And pumpkin beer?  Honestly, I haven’t been the biggest fan.  I’ve had a couple over the years, and I wasn’t too impressed.  But it’s been a while, so I’m willing to try a few, for the benefit of the blog.

We’ll start off with New Holland’s Ichabod Pumpkin Ale.  This beer was a nice copper color, but I didn’t really taste or smell any noticeable pumpkin or spices.  Furthermore, I thought the taste was actually kind of dry and astringent. So it wasn’t really the pumpkin taste that made me dislike this beer, it was somewhat a lack of taste overall.


2 comments:

  1. drank this tuesday night. I liked it....its not as good as the dogfish head or the southern tier, but then again, what is....it's fun trying the different pumpkin offerings...but I'll be happy when i can go back to my stand by IPA's...but first i guess i got to get through the other holiday beers coming up

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a pumpkin beer fan. I will usually try a couple, but they're not usually something care to spend anybquality time with. It will be interesting to see if you find anything to change my mind. For what its worth, a friend has been raving about Schlafly pumpkin, but I have not found any to try.

    ReplyDelete