Sunday, October 30, 2011

Day 301, Oct / Punkin Ale


Day 301 / October 28, 2011

Dogfish Head Brewing Co. / Milton, DE

A
NG
P
G
VG
O

Punk’d!

No, not really.  I’m revisiting pumpkin beers and ales for the sake of the blog, but you know?  I still don’t really like them.  I had planned to keep this up until Halloween… we’ll see how long it lasts.  I’ve got to say, from Wednesday to Friday, each pumpkin ale is getting a little bit better, but I’m still not a fan.

After visiting the haunted house (spooky mental asylum) at our daughter’s high school, my wife and I went to the Dogfish Head Alehouse in Falls Church, VA, for dinner.  Before we left, I checked the online chalkboard to make sure they still had their Punkin Ale on tap.  As usual, the place was packed on a Friday evening, with an hour wait for a table for two.  As I went to the bar and got us some drinks, my wife scoped out the bar area for a table opening up.  We ending up sharing a long table with two other parties, which was a little strange, but fine.

Dogfish’s Punkin Ale had a little more pumpkin-forward taste than the other two beers, but there still wasn’t enough of a pumpkin or spice taste to make me say “Wow!” or even “Hmmmm...”

What did make me say “Wow” was the shepherd’s pie on their new seasonal specials menu.  It was stew of beef, mushrooms, veggies and gravy, topped with mashed potatoes.  It was very good!

And how about some props for that photo, huh?  Took that on a barrel at DFHA.  The beer and pumpkin were on the barrell - I wasn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment