Sunday, December 4, 2011

Day 335, Dec 1 / Genesee Beer


Day 335 / December 1, 2011

Genesee Brewing Company / Rochester, NY

A
NG
P
G
VG
O

Sentimentality wins over taste.

I grew up in Syracuse, NY.  Our local beers in the 70’s and 80’s were Genesee, Utica Club, and Matt’s Premium.  And when I was of legal drinking age (of course), I definitely had a few of each of these.  I certainly don’t remember them as being great tasting beers, but I do remember my Dad drinking them, and they were some of the first beers I had.

So, remember those pictures I posted last week?  The beers I didn’t buy in Pittsburgh?  Well, what I didn’t post was the other case I did buy – The Genesee Heritage Collection.  Eight classic stubby bottles each of Genesee Beer, 12 Horse Ale and Genesee Cream Ale.

The first of these I sampled this week was the flagship Genesee beer, which would have been better if it was a lot colder, I was on a boat waterskiing with my friends, and I was 25 younger.  But that didn’t happen, so it was pretty bad.  This is a light beer, brewed with corn grits in addition to barley malt and (not much) Yakima Valley hops.  I can’t recommend, but if you have memories of Genesee and want to remember the taste – I have 7 more classic stubby bottles of it!

One more thing – as I was researching for this blog post, I ran across another blog post titled “Dad’s Favorite Beer,” in which the author and commenters recall what their Dads drank. 



No comments:

Post a Comment