Monday, December 26, 2011

Day 358, Dec 24 / Old Man Winter Ale


The unfortunate Santa on the left started out as
 a candle, but lost his head as the night
burned on.

Day 358 / December 24, 2011

Southern Tier Brewing Company / Lakewood, NY

A
NG
P
G
VG
O

Here’s to the Old Man.

On Christmas Eve, I cracked open a Southern Tier Old Man, brought over the previous night by HHH.

The taste opens with huge tangerine citrus hops. Orange & grapefruit are there as well, but stronger than in the nose – as is the rind. Firm bitterness. The great citrus / tangerine hop character is joined by a bit of resin and a touch of pine that really sticks around in the finish with some spicy & earthy notes and some rind. Toasty grain & biscuity pale malt provide a nice base along with a touch of caramel sweetness, hints of bread crust, and dark sugars.

OK, I didn’t write that.  I didn’t even taste that.  I just copied some dude’s review from Beer Advocate.  But I definitely did enjoy it, as a strong, rich winter ale.

Chime in readers (both of you) – do you distinguish this level of tastes in your beers?  Because I don’t, and I don’t think I’d want to.  You’d spend too much time analyzing your beverages and less time enjoying them and the company of your friends.  Not every beer’s gonna be great, hopefully most will be good, and some are just cold, wet and have alcohol.  And yeah, some suck, but I’m sure you know better than to avoid them.  Unless you’re some crazy blogger, out to drink 365 different beers in a year.

And here’s to my old man, who passed away back in 2004.  Merry Christmas Dad, I miss you.


3 comments:

  1. No, I do not taste my beers, wine, bourbon, or anything else to that extent. If I am with a bunch of like minded people and the main topic is the tasting, I may try to identify a specific flavor or two, but usually stick to general qualities. The type of comment you copied is laughable; although I am sure some people have palates like that. As a point of reference, a friend of mine who does a whiskey blog posted a review where he and a friend literally spun the spice rack to pick flavors, and ended up with a bunch of comments agreeing with him and expanding on the fake flavors. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff, that citrus hop characteristic is one of my personal favorites in a beer...southern tier really has stepped up as a brewery. I think my pub in the 'hood has this one. I'll have to check it out and report back.

    BTW, I will miss your blog, I've thoroughly enjoyed it. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, citrus hops I get and can taste - but can you really distinguish tangerine, orange, grapefruit AND the rind, as well as resin, pine (which sticks around in the finish) and biscuits and bread crust?

    ReplyDelete