Sunday, December 18, 2011

Day 349, Dec 15 / Tidings Ale


Day 349 / December 15, 2011

Port City Brewing Company / Alexandria, VA

A
NG
P
G
VG
O

On the second day of Christmas...

On Thursday, I bugged out of work a little early, a friend picked me up at the office, and we headed  north to Baltimore to see Lyle Lovett (he got the tickets in a white elephant gift exchange, how great is that?)  He was driving, and I had a Christmas beer to drink, so I cracked it open (discretely) while we were sitting in beltway traffic (90 minutes from Tyson’s Corner to I-95 North).

The Port City Tidings Ale is a stong Belgian style blonde ale, gently spiced with coriander, cardamom, fresh ginger and grains of paradise. What’s a grain of paradise?  Not sure.  Let me Google it, hold on a minute.

OK, I’m back.  Grains of paradise are a peppery spice made from the dried, ground seeds of the aframomum melegueta plant, a relative to the ginger plant. 

It actually poured a little lighter than I expected for a winter seasonal.  This is a stronger ale, clocking in at 7.5 alcohol.  You could definitely taste the peppery bite of the grains of paradise.  It was an interesting brew, but I prefer Wednesday’s Schlafly Christmas Ale. 

Oh, and Lyle Lovett says, “Hello.”


No comments:

Post a Comment