Sunday, November 6, 2011

Day 307, Nov 3 / Batch 19 Pre-Prohibition Style Lager


Day 307 / November 3, 2011

Coors Archive Brewing / Golden, CO

A
NG
P
G
VG
O

To misquote Katy Perry, “I drank a Coors, and I liked it…”

On Thursday, I stopped into Chef Geoff’s restaurant in Tyson’s Corner for a beer with a couple of my new co-workers.  Chef Geoff’s is a pretty upscale restaurant, but they have pretty reasonable happy hour prices and a good draft selection.  You can get most draft beers in a double-sized super mug for $8.

While the selection was good, I had already had most of the beers, but I didn’t recognize the tap handle at the end.  I asked the bartender what it was, and he told me that it was Batch 19 Pre-Prohibition Style Lager from Colorado.  Sure, why not?  (At this point, I still didn’t know it was from Coors).

This was a pretty good, interesting beer.  It was light in color and taste, somewhat like an American lager with more hops and malt taste.

Then another co-worker showed up and he told us it was a Coors product, and he had it at the GABF a month earlier.  After a little research, I found out that this is a limited release beer, only available in a few states, and only in a few restaurants and bars in each state.

It turns out that even though Coors is part of the massive MillerCoors conglomerate, there is still a craft brewing unit buried deep within the company.  The Denver Post recently published an article about the tiny AC Golden Brewing Company unit.

1 comment:

  1. From your description Batch 19 sounds like a Classic American Pilsner (CAP) style beer; a style I have read about but never had. It is supposed to represent the way American pilsners tasted before Prohibition changed the US beer landscape.

    Another Coors-owned craft brewing project is the Sandlot brewpub, located in Coors Field, where the Colorado Rockies play. Their beers are supposedly excellent, winning several GABF medals over the years.

    Cheers
    HHH

    ReplyDelete