Sunday, November 6, 2011

Day 309, Nov 5 / Barrell Aged Human Blockhead Imperial American Bock


Day 309 / November 5, 2011

Shmaltz Brewing Company / San Francisco, CA and Coney Island, NY

A
NG
P
G
VG
O

Even with 30 beers on tap, it’s hard to find a beer I haven’t had this year.  At Fireworks Pizza in Arlington, VA, one of the few taps I hadn’t had was Coney Island’s Human Blockhead.  This was no ordinary Human Blockhead, this was a barrel aged Human Blockhead.

Now an ordinary Human Blockhead is an Imperial American Bock, or a doppelbock – a full bodied, malty beer that has been considered a meal in a glass for centuries.  But this is a barrel aged doppelbock, aged for five months in Buffalo Trace bourbon barrels.

This is a strong, hearty beer – probably a little too strong and hearty for me, but you might like this.

And speaking of human blockheads, I’m pretty sure that I saw the original human blockhead, Melvin Burkhart, at a carnival sideshow when I was a kid.  Did you?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment