Thursday, November 24, 2011

Day 327, Nov 23 / I.C. Light


Day 327 / November 23, 2011

Pittsburgh Brewing Company / Pittsburgh, PA

A
NG
P
G
VG
O

Went dahntahn to see da Pens n’at!

I’m spending a few days for Thanksgiving up at the in-laws in Pittsburgh, so of course, I decided to make a Beer Run out of it.  For the next few days, I will be sampling some of Pittsburgh’s better (and worse) beers, and a couple of the Burgh’s better beer bars.

We got into town about 5pm yesterday, and an hour later my father-in-law and I left to go see the Pittsburgh Penguins take on the St. Louis Blues at the Consol Energy Center, which is definitely a top-notch arena.  The Pens played pretty weak in the first 2 periods, but played well enough in the third period to tie up the game at the end of regulation.

I wanted to start out this Beer Run as authentic as I could, so I wanted to grab an Iron City at the Pens game.  Well, it wasn’t as easy as you’d think.  I had to walk half way around the concourse to find a beer stand with any Iron City beers, and all they had was I.C. Light.  Of course, the big macro brewers dominated the arena.  Fortunately, they did not have Pittsburgh Brewing’s latest beer – I.C. Light Mango.  When I think Pittsburgh, I think mango, don’t you?

$7.50 for a tall boy can of I.C. Light, and 10 bucks for an excellent beef brisket sandwich platter.  I gotta say, the only function the I.C. Light served was to wash down that barbecue sandwich.  As expected, the I.C. Light was light, waterly, pretty much tasteless.  Oh well, we got that out of the way on Day One of the Pittsburgh Beer Run.  There are definitely better beers in this town, and I will find them!

No comments:

Post a Comment