Thursday, September 1, 2011

Day 243, Aug 31 / Golden Vanilla Ale

Thirsty Bear Brewing Company / San Francisco, CA

A
NG
P
G
VG
O

A very crowded, thirsty bear...

Continuing the San Francisco Beer Run, I stopped into the Thirsty Bear Brewpub near the Moscone Convention Center after my conference ended yesterday. And so did everyone else! The place was packed!

After I elbowed my way up to the bar, I checked out the beers and ales brewed on premise. There was a pilsner, a stout, an ESB, a "Blue Moon" type orange wheat beer, and a golden vanilla ale. Well, that last one sounded interesting - I've never had that type of beer before.

The Golden Vanilla was an extremely mild (not bitter) ale, clocking in at only 15 IBUs (point of reference: Budweiser is 11 IBUs, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is 38 IBUs). The vanilla taste was present in both the smell and taste of the beer, but not overpowering or obnoxious.

Ok, I'll say it - this is a girl beer. Now some girls like a fuller, more complex beer, but not most girls. But I'd say most girls would probably enjoy this beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment