Sunday, September 11, 2011

Day 250, Sept 9 / Michelob Original Lager


Day 250, September 9, 2011

Michelob Brewing Co (InBev)  /  St. Louis, MO


A
NG
P
G
VG
O

“Where you’re going, it's Michelob"



 
“Weekends were made for Michelob"



"The night belongs to Michelob"



"Some days are better than others."





Growing up, I remember two things about Michelob:

  1. It was too expensive for my Dad to buy.  Michelob was the premium American beer of the 1970’s and 1980’s.  It was then, as now, one of the few American macro-brews to use all malt, with no corn or rice adjuncts.
  2. After 1981, when I was old enough to buy one, if you were able to peel the tab off the label and capture the the two EE’s in BEER, your wish would come true.  But since my wish was usually that the girl at the other end of the bar that looked like Cheryl Ladd would come over and talk to me, I think this was a myth, because that never happened.

We tried a new restaurant Friday night that I had purchased a Groupon for – Rocco’s Italian Restaurant in McLean, Virginia.  This was a pleasant surprise.  Rocco’s is a small, family restaurant, and many of the customers were greeted by the staff as if they were regulars.  Between my wife’s chicky chicky parm parm with a side of spaghetti with meat sauce, my linguine with white clam sauce, and my daughter’s meatball sub, we were all impressed with the food, and will definitely return.

As expected, the beer selection was limited, so I just selected a Michelob draft, which I haven’t had in years.  It was a clear golden color, with a smooth, crisp taste, no noticeable hop character.  Like Budweiser, only a little better.

Some days are better than others.


2 comments:

  1. Michelob commited suicide about 10 yrs. ago by cheaply not offering the original "hour glass" shaped bottles any more. The Public responded by Boycotting the beer for life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info, I was wondering what happened.

      Delete