Sunday, September 18, 2011

Day 261, Sep 18 / Erdinger Oktoberfest


Day 261 / September 18, 2011

Erdinger Weissbrau / Erding, Germany

A
NG
P
G
VG
O

Imagine my surprise…

… as I poured the Erdinger Oktoberfest into my mug.  Unlike the usual clear amber colored marzen Oktoberfests, this was a cloudy yellow, with a thick foamy head, much like a wheat beer.  And that’s because it is a wheat beer – a hefeweizen, specifically.

Google tells me that Erdinger is one of the top makers of all types of wheat beers in Germany.  So it would only make sense that their Oktoberfest would be a wheat beer.

This is definitely a good hefeweizen, but there’s nothing especially distinct about it.  So we’ll clock it in at a Good.

2 comments:

  1. Whoops! I forgot to update the scorecard. I'll do that tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I recall from last year when I had the Erdinger Oktoberfest, it has a bit more hop character than their normal hefeweizen -- a bit more hops in the finish, and in the aroma.

    Prosit!
    Heinrich

    ReplyDelete