Saturday, September 3, 2011

Day 244, September 1 / Prohibition Ale


Day 244 / September 1, 2011

Speakeasy Ales and Lagers  / 
San Francisco, CA

A
NG
P
G
VG
O

Schmoozing can be exhausting...

Thursday was the last night of my conference in San Francisco, with 2 cocktail parties to attend – one up the hill from my hotel and the other down the hill..  I tell ya, walking around the city, eating and drinking on the vendor's dime can really wear you out!  (Wah...)

I anticipated the high probability that neither one of these receptions would have a beer that met the requirements of my San Francisco Beer Run.  I tried to find a pub on the way to the first reception, but the only ones I came across were a couple fancy hotel bars.  I did find one corner bar, but the only local beer that had was Anchor Steam (had that already).

The only thing close to a craft beer at the first reception was Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (from Chico, California, 3 hours north of San Francisco).  I had scoped out a bar on the walk to the convention center that looked like it may have a couple local beers, so I stopped in there with a co-worker between receptions. 

Sure enough, they had another beer from Speakeasy, Prohibition American Style Amber Ale.  This was a nice reddish color, with a good balance of malt and somewhat aggressive hoppiness.

And it’s a good thing I stopped in here, because the beer selection at the secnd reception – which was actually a very good party – consisted only of Miller Lite, Miller Genuine Draft, and Coors (the Banquet Beer).

1 comment:

  1. SNPA was "the only thing close to a craft beer"? Many people would say it was a pioneering craft beer, the prototype of the American Pale Ale style. Perhaps you meant the only thing close to a SF area craft beer?

    Cheers
    HHH

    ReplyDelete