Sunday, September 11, 2011

Day 251, Sep 10 / Yuengling Traditional Lager


Day 251, September 10, 2011

D.G. Yuengling & Sons  /  Pottsville PA

A
NG
P
G
VG
O

I like mine all the way wet!

I stopped into Hard Time Chili Parlor in Fairfax, VA, with the family after an afternoon of errands (every store I checked was sold out of dehumidifiers).

I didn’t remember if I had already blogged a Yuengling Lager this year, but I figured I probably had a backup beer in the fridge at home, if I already had one.  I checked the blog, and I’ve had a Yuengling Premium, a Yuengling Bock, but not a Yuengling Lager.

I consider Yuengling Lager a decent, go to beer, if no other craft beers are available.  It’s a nice amber color, crisp smooth taste.  I prefer it on tap or poured from a can into a glass, because the bottle it comes in is green, which can let in too much light and impart a skunky taste to the beer.

2 comments:

  1. So you are calling Yuengling Trad Lager a craft beer? Nah it's not craft. It's a nice story, oldest brewery in the country, owned by the same family for generations or whatever it is. The lager has a noticeable corn presence. Not that corn in the grist alone would disqualify it from being a craft beer. Their beers just don't have the quality flavor profile of craft beers. Some of their beers are totally factory beers, while a couple of them are in between craft and factory beers. I doubt Yuengling considers themselves a craft brewery although I'm sure they would be complemented.

    Cheers
    HHH

    ReplyDelete
  2. HHH, thanks for being a loyal reader of the blog, but you don't need to take things so literally.

    I suppose you can interpret my sentence "I consider Yuengling Lager a decent, go to beer, if no other craft beers are available," as me saying Yuengling is a craft beer. But you could also interpret it as - "no craft beers were available..."

    I don't have a fact checker or grammarian on the payroll, it's just me...

    ReplyDelete