Sunday, March 13, 2011

Day 72, Mar 13 / Harp Premium Lager


Day 72 / March 13, 2011

Guinness Brewing Company / New Brunswick, Canada

A
NG
P
G
VG
O

So technically, I had a beer after midnight on Saturday, so I could have claimed that as Sunday’s beer.  But I’ve planning a Beer Run and I wanted to kick it off today.  Plus, I don’t remember that last beer of the night too well…

So, in honor of Saint Patrick’s Day this Thursday, I’m kicking off my Irish-ish Beer Run!  Ish?  Look, here’s the deal – this beer run will include beers from Ireland, and self-declared Irish Style beers from the US.  As always, suggestions are welcome!

Well, I thought I was starting with a true Irish beer until I read about Harp on Wikipedia and double checked the label on my bottle.  My “Imported” Harp Premium Lager, from a “Genuine Irish Recipe” was actually brewed in Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada!  I got duped!

The Harp brand of beer was first brewed in 1960 by the Guinness company in Dundalk, Ireland.  Currently, the Harp brand is owned by beverage giant Diageo, and is brewed in Ireland, Great Britain and Canada.

I don’t know if an Irish Harp tastes different from a Canadian Harp, but this beer was, well, unremarkable.  It was a light golden lager, slightly sweet, with very limited hop taste.  The next time I get a Harp, I’ll have to find out where it comes from first.

No comments:

Post a Comment