Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Day 74, Mar 15 / Smithwick's Irish Ale


Day 74 / March 15, 2011

Smithwick's Brewery / Irish Ale Breweries Ltd , Kilkenny, Ireland

A
NG
P
G
VG
O

Won’t get fooled again! 

After 2 nights of drinking what I mistakenly thought to be authentic Irish beers (i.e. brewed in Ireland), I was determined to get a truly Irish brewed beer last night.  So I went with a friend to Ri Ra Irish Pub in Bethesda, MD, and informed the bartender of my quest.  Much to my dismay, he told me that all of the “Irish” beers on tap there were actually brewed in Canada – Harp, Guinness, Smithwick’s and Kilkenny (previously tasted).

So I resigned myself to yet another Irish knockoff, and ordered up a Smithwick’s (and if you’ve ever ordered one, you know the proper pronunciation is “Smiddick’s”).  I’ve had many a Smithwick’s in my day – it’s generally my beer of choice in Irish pubs.  And this was as enjoyable as the others – a deep amber color, slightly malty, slightly malty taste, no real distinct hops smell or taste.  A good beer to have if you’re having more than one.

I also enjoyed a Black & Tan with (Canadian) Harp & Guinness.  Get this – at Ri Ra, Black & Tans are $4 all month long, but a pint of Harp or Guinness by themselves will cost you $6.

This morning, I had a feeling that maybe, just maybe, the Ri Ra bartender didn’t know entirely what he was talking about.  After all, I had previously reviewed Kilkenny, and my research told me that it was, indeed, only brewed in Ireland.  By who?  The Smithwick’s Brewery, since 1710.  And sure enough, Smithwick’s is also only brewed in Ireland!  Mission accomplished!  However, Smithwick’s and Guinness are now both owned by beverage giant Diageo.

No comments:

Post a Comment