Monday, March 14, 2011

Day 73, Mar 14 / Wexford Irish Style Crème Ale


Day 73 / March 14, 2011

Greene King Brewing Company / Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK

A
NG
P
G
VG
O

Curses!  Foiled again!

I blame myself!  I should have checked the label more clearly, but it was an “Irish Style” beer, it did come with a pressurized widget in the can like a Guinness, and the can was a nice shade of green.

But more so, I blame Total Wine (and More)!  There it was, sitting on the shelf with all the other Irish beers, including the Canadian Harp I had last night.  Maybe I’ll rearrange their shelves next time I go in there.

I could find out very little about Wexford on the web, even on the brewery’s website.  Wexford is made by the Greene King Brewing Company in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK, which is on the western side of the UK, about as far away from Ireland as you can get (while you’re still in the UK).  Greene King also produces a couple beers you may have heard of – Old Speckled Hen and Abbott Ale.

I was expecting something maybe like a Boddington’s or a Kilkenny.  It had the same consistency and texture, thanks to the widget, and looked very good in the glass.  The creamy head settled nicely.  The taste was OK, but not as good as either of those two beers.  It has a smooth taste, slightly malty, overall decent taste, but nothing too special.  My advice – if you like this type of beer, stick to Boddington’s.

1 comment:

  1. So you're 0 for 2 so far on your Irish beer run. I know you're not a huge stout fan but if you want something in a widget can, I'd recommend Murphy's Irish stout. Got some at Trader Joe's last weekend ($7.49 4-pack) and it was very good, actually has some nice malt flavor as opposed to the thin roast and nothing else I get from a Guinness widget can.

    Slainte!
    HHH

    ReplyDelete