Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Day 217, August 5 / Sam Adams Sample A & Sample B


Day 217, August 5, 2011

Boston Beer Company / Boston, MA

A
NG
P
G
VG
O

What’s this?  How do I get on this list?

I went up to my hometown of Syracuse, NY to take care of some family business and see a few old friends.  One of those old friends has worked for one of Syracuse’s local beer distributors for over 25 years.  While Bud products are their bread & butter, they also distribute a number of craft brands, including Samuel Adams.

Once or twice a year, Sam Adams distributes a couple unreleased sample beers to distributors in their test markets, has them take the beers out to bars and other customers and get their feedback on the new recipes.  So I had the privilege of sampling the latest Samples!

Sample A is an Oaked Ale – it pours a reddish color in the glass, has a mild taste, and just hint of oak taste.  Frankly, not enough of an oak taste to merit the name, but it’s still a good beer.

Sample B is a Maple Pecan Porter.  This was definitely a richer beer to start with, with a foamy head.  It’s brewed with maple syrup and “other natural flavors.” 

I’ve got to pick Sample B over Sample A.  I’m a maple fan – I’ve even had maple bacon ice cream before (and I liked it).  I just cast my vote on Facebook – I’ll let you know how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment