Saturday, August 13, 2011

Day 222, August 10 / Simple Malt Golding Pale Ale


Day 222, August 10, 2011

Brasseurs Illimités  /  Quebec, Canada

A
NG
P
G
VG
O

Eh, Canada?

OK, first of all, I am not responsible for the pour in that picture.  But I guess that’s what I get for ordering a beer at The Wine House, a small restaurant, wine bar and store in the middle of Fairfax City.  The Wine House has a limited number of tables inside (more on the patio in warmer months), a tiny kitchen, excellent food, a very good wine selection and wine club, plus about 8 to 10 different beers on hand at any given time.

One of the beers on the menu was Golding Pale Ale – I had never heard of it before, so I thought I’d give it a try.  Before I talk about the beer though, I have un os de choisir – that is, a bone to pick. 

This beer is made about 42 miles north of the New York border.  The only words in English on the label of this beer are “Simple Malt Golding Pale Ale.”   You would think there might be French and English, but non….  So I track down their website – which is actually only a web page – to see if there is a translation there.  Non.  C’mon, Quebec, what’s the deal?  Help a beer drinker out!

Anyway, like Smuttynose Shoals Pale Ale, this is also a respectable pale ale, maybe with a little Belgian influence.  The Golding in the name most likely refers to Golding hops, an English style hop.  All in all, a good beer to drink, but unless you remember (or took) high school French, don’t plan on reading the label.

No comments:

Post a Comment