Thursday, August 25, 2011

Day 235, August 23 / Chipotle Ale


Day 235, August 23, 2011

Rogue Brewery  /  Newport, OR

A
NG
P
G
VG
O

Whoa!

I'd gone 47 years without having a Chipotle beer, and now I've had two in one month!  Granted, 18 of those years I was not legally allowed to drink, and the next 20 or more of those years Chipotle beers didn't even exist.

Last month it was Sweetwater's Chipotle Porter, and this week I finished up the Rogue's Gallery Beer Run with a Rogue Chipotle Ale.  Obviously, an ale is a bit lighter than a porter, so the mix of flavors was quite different between the two beers.  The Sweetwater Chipotle Porter was a much fuller beer, so the chipotle taste was much more subtle.  The base Rogue Ale was a much more mild pale ale, so the chipotle taste was more prominent.

In fact, I had a bit of a “Whoa” reaction when I had the first sip, but in a good way.  The chipotle taste is front and center, but blends very well with the ale.  I’d recommend picking up a bottle and see what you think.


Bitterness
Alcohol by Volume
Jeff’s Rating
Saint Rogue Red Ale
44 IBU
5.10%
G
Captain Sig’s Northwestern Ale
80 IBU
6.20%
G
Double Dead Guy
60 IBU
9.00%
P
American Amber Ale
53 IBU
5.60%
VG
Juniper Pale Ale
34 IBU
5.30%
O
Chipotle Ale
35 IBU
5.5%
VG


No comments:

Post a Comment