Thursday, August 11, 2011

Day 220, August 8 / Antigoon Double Blond Ale


Day 220, August 8, 2011

Brouwerij de Musketiers from Ursel Belgium

A
NG
P
G
VG
O

I’ve got to hand it to you…

Antigoon is a mythical giant who guarded a bridge on the river Scheldt in Antwerp - he exacted a toll from those crossing the river. For those who refused, he severed one of their hands and threw it into the river. Eventually, Antigoon was slain by a young Roman soldier named Brabo, who cut off the giant's own hand and flung it into the river.

Just the sort of guy who deserves to have a beer named after him, don't you think?  Antigoon Ale is the house beer, specially brewed for Brasserie Beck in downtown DC, by the brewers Brouwerij de Musketiers from Ursel Belgium.  It is a double blond ale – a strong dryhopped blond ale, definitely “sessionable.”  It comes highly recommended by B.W., the bartender.

Brasserie Beck has one of the best selections of Belgian beers in the city, and the food is excellent!  I’ve had a couple friends recommending Brasserie Beck to me for a while now, and I’m glad that I finally got the chance to give it a try.  I will be back!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you liked it! The last time I was there they said they were going to be bottling the Antigoon for retail sale- did they mention anything about that to you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen it on the shelves at Total Wine!

    ReplyDelete