Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Day 218, August 6 / Saison du BUFF

Day 218, August 6, 2011

Stone Brewing Company / Escondido, CA

A
NG
P
G
VG
O

Parlsey, sage, rosemary & thyme.
And old friends.  And 30 years.

Still up in Syracuse for the weekend, I got to try another rare beer – a collaboration between Sam Calagione of Dogfish Head, Bill Covaleski of Victory, and Stone's Greg Koch, collectively calling themselves BUFF, Brewers United for Freedom of Flavor.  BUFF was formed in 2003, but their first collaborative brew was not produced until last year.

Check out the video below for the story behind the beer.


Each brewery brewed a version of Saison du BUFF at their own brewery.  This version is from Stone Brewery is Escondido, CA.  This is a fresh farmhouse / saison ale, with crisp tastes from Simon & Garfunkel’s favorite herbs – parsley, sage, rosemary & thyme.  I’ve actually got a bottle of Victory’s Saison du BUFF in the fridge that I will crack open soon to compare.
.
Now while I was up in Syracuse, I joined a hundred and fifty former classmates (out of a graduating class of 900), most of whom I didn’t clearly remember, for my 30th high school reunion.  I did see many old friends who I hadn’t seen in years (20 or 30 years, in some cases).  It’s amazing how easily you can fall back in line with old friends, like you didn’t miss a beat, even though there were years of life in between!  It was great seeing you guys!

And yes, that’s me back in 1981.





No comments:

Post a Comment