Monday, August 15, 2011

Day 227, August 15 / Shock Top Raspberry Wheat


Day 227, August 15, 2011

Shock Top Brewing Co. /  St. Louis, MO
actually Anheuser-Busch, actually InBev

A
NG
P
G
VG
O

Do yourself a favor…

…avoid this beer!

Over the course of this year, I’ve only rating 2 beers O for Outstanding, and 1 beer A for Awful.  It takes a uniquely good or bad beer to earn those ratings, so I consider these ratings especially carefully.

That said, Shock Top Raspberry has unfortunately earned my second Awful rating of the year.  I actually gave original Shock Top a Good grade – I think it’s a little better than Blue Moon.  Shock Top Raspberry is an unfiltered wheat beer with citrus, spices, and some God-awful raspberry flavored extract.  You can smell the artificial smelling flavor as you pour the beer, and while the label claims it’s just a hint on raspberry, it actually feels like a full-frontal assault.

And the taste stays with you, and that’s not a good thing.  I only had my required seven ounces, dumped out the rest, had a glass of water, and I’m still tasting it.

I’ll say it again – avoid this beer!

No comments:

Post a Comment