Saturday, February 5, 2011

Day 35, Feb 4 / Rubicon Estate 2007 Single Lot Cabernet "Fourteen"


Day 35  /  February 4

2007 Single Lot Cabernet "Fourteen"
  Rubicon Estate  /  Rutherford, CA


A
NG
P
G
VG
O

Last night’s first glass of wine was outstanding!  The second glass was quite good.  The third glass went very nicely with a dinner of excellent homemade comfort foods – shrimp & grits, scalloped potatoes, and slow roasted barbecue beef – yeah, that was good for my diet.  The fourth glass was probably good, I don’t quite remember.  And the fifth glass tasted like water… probably because it was water.

We had a wonderful little dinner last night with a few friends, and everybody else was drinking wine, so I did too.  The Outstanding wine was a 2007 Rubicon Estate Single Lot Cabernet "Fourteen".  When we visited Napa in 2005, we joined the wine club of what was then the Niebaum-Coppola Winery (since renamed Rubicon Estate).  Every few months, we get a box with three or four very nice bottles of wine (and a very nice charge on the Visa statement).  We keep on talking about cancelling the wine club, because we don’t really need it and it is kind of expensive.  But then you get a bottle like this, and we say, “Well, maybe just one more shipment, THEN we’ll cancel it…”  Six years later…

I definitely enjoy a nice glass of wine, but my tastes in wine are nowhere near as refined as my tastes in beer (even those are moderate at best).  What made this Cab “Outstanding” was the smoothness and the texture of the wine.  My description can’t do it justice, but it was just damn good! 

How do you get some?  I don’t think you can get it in stores.  Join the wine club!  (You may be able to order a bottle from their website without joining the club).



HA!  Got you!  All of that above is true, but of course I had to have a beer too.  So I started the evening with an Amber Ale from Starr Hill Brewing Company, which my friend Kevin tells me is from a little town in Virginia, “I think they have a small college there.”  Freakin’ Hokie!

Starr Hill actually started in Charlottesville, but moved west to Crozet, VA in 2005 to expand and meet market demand. Starr Hill Amber Ale is an Irish Red Ale, a good solid everyday beer, no real noticeable hop bitterness and it should appeal to most beer drinkers. 


Starr Hill Brewing Company  / Crozet, VA

A
NG
P
G
VG
O

1 comment:

  1. That is an interesting picture. A beer from Charlottesville, and the quote on the glass from a man who should many believe to be the first Hokie.

    "I wish the Bald Eagle had not been chosen as the representative of our country; he is a bird of bad moral character. The turkey is a much more respectable bird, and withal a true original native of America." -- Ben Franklin

    ReplyDelete