Thursday, February 3, 2011

Here Come the Mummies!

OK, there’s more to life than beer and weight loss.  From time to time, I’ll throw a little Sumpin’ Sumpin’ Extra into this blog.

One of the things I really enjoy is discovering new music.  So I definitely miss hanging out at the listening stations at Tower Records for a couple hours at a time.  Yeah, that was me.  Or Corey.  But now I can do almost the same thing on Amazon or Rhapsody.

This weekend I was flipping through the channels and something on HDNet caught my eye (and ear).  It was a live concert of a ~10 member band (with horns and percussion) playing real cool funk-rock grooves!  And…. get this…. they were all dressed as mummies!

Apparently, Here Come the Mummies have been around for about 10 years and have released 5 albums.  For you DC area residents, they are playing at the State Theater in Falls Church on Thursday, March 24.  Will I see you there?

Check out this clip on YouTube!


5 comments:

  1. If you are ordering tickets, grab two extra for us- signed birthday girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. i saw this listed on hdnet as well...thought at first it was a cheesy movie....watched a little bit of it...interesting stuff...

    speaking of hdnet...have you watched 'drinking made easy' with zane lamprey? he goes from city to city checking out the local watering holes...its a pretty decent show...and zane lamprey is also a syracuse native, in fact he will be doing a show from syracuse this season...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta get some booty baby! Not sure I could take two hours of this.

    HHH

    ReplyDelete
  4. PJ - Definitely a fan of Zane and "DME" and his previous show "Three Sheets." I have 7 or 8 episodes of "DME" stacked up on the DVR.

    Re: Mummies - one more thing... most of their songs are ... well, kinda filthy. A little repetitive sometimes, but funny and with an infectious groove.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, you got me. I spent some time watching these guys on YouTube and I love them! I'm in for the State Theater!

    ReplyDelete