Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Day 32, Feb 1 / Cass Fresh Beer

Day 32 / Feb 1

Oriental Brewery Company  /  Seoul, Korea

What does vitality sound like?
What does fizzy taste like?

Now I know.  Not much.

A
NG
P
G
VG
O

Low expectations.  That's what I had when I opened this beer, Cass Fresh beer from Oriental Brewery Company in Seoul, Korea.

Word of my beer quest has gotten out at work, and a couple co-workers have given me beers to sample.  This morning I was handed a Cass Fresh beer by Jim M., a Korean co-worker.  Turns out he bought a six pack, and passed out all six bottles to co-workers.  That should have been my first clue.

Second Clue:  Beer Advocate has an average score of D+ for Cass Beer (out of 21 reviews).  As a point of reference, Coors Light scores a D.

Third Clue:  The label proudly boasts, "Sound of Vitality" and "Ultimate refreshment with fizzy and crisp taste."  Like I haven't heard that before.

OK, here goes nothing.  As you can see from the picture, this is a very light colored beer, not unlike... Coors Light.  It's definitely made with adjuncts - corn and/or rice - like mass produced American beers.

It has a very bland, slightly sweet taste. I might have enjoyed this back in college, but let's face it, I was just looking for a cheap buzz back then.  Hell, I drank Weideman's, Red White & Blue and PBR back then (before it was cool, just cheap).

Thanks for the beer, Jim. No. Really. I mean it. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment