Monday, February 7, 2011

Day 37, Feb 6 / Samuel Adams Noble Pils

Day 37 / February 6

The Boston Beer Company / Boston, MA

A
NG
P
G
VG
O

Super Bowl Sunday!  You know, I actually tried to find beer from Pittsburgh and Green Bay (actually, anywhere in Wisconsin) to celebrate the Super Bowl teams.  But I couldn’t find an Iron City or Penn Pilsner in town, so I gave up this sub-quest.  There's an interesting story on Inc Online about the rise and fall and rise of Penn Brewery --  it’s possible they haven't resumed distribution to Virginia yet.

Anyway, the wife wanted to root on her hometown Steelers at a sports bar, where other fans would drown out her cries of "Woo Hoo" at every Pittsburgh first down.

So we headed down to Glory Days and parked ourselves in a booth for a few hours of drinking, noshing and Woo Hooing.  Apparently not enough Woo Hooing.

My first (and second) beer was the Sam Adams Noble Pils on draft, a spring seasonal made with “all 5 Noble Hops”  (I swear I only tasted 4, and no, I don’t know what Noble Hops are).  It was a good, crisp, cold brew, tasting even better as it cooled my lips from the flaming hot "medium" buffalo wings (which were consumed sparingly & slowly over several hours, with a lap around the parking lot at half time).

BEER OF THE WEEK:    For the week beginning January 30 is Long Trail Ale from Vermont’s Long Trail Brewing Company, beating out Bell’s Two Hearted Ale by a sip!


3 comments:

  1. I sampled a number of new beers on super Sunday myself, but there were two standouts. They don't fit into your current beer run, but you might want to check them out : Local 1 and Local 2, both from Brooklyn Brewery. They are found in 750ml bottles, and are bottle re-fermented. I preferred the Local 1, but both were excellent. And 9% ABV....

    ReplyDelete
  2. At my age, I can definitely appreciate a good Number 1 and Number 2. Beer that is.

    You are correct sir, they are good, and I have already considered them for a future Beer Run.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And now a road trip is recommended; the beer I had last night is only available (for now) on tap at Brasserie Beck. It is Antigoon ale, a Belgian double golden named after a giant from an Antwerp legend. It, the many many other fine beers available there, and the excellent food make it worth the trip. The relatively high price tag makes it worth a special occasion...

    ReplyDelete