Sunday, February 6, 2011

Day 36, Feb 6 / Orange Whip IPA


Day 36  /  February 5

Orange Whip IPA
Mad Fox Brewing Company  /  Falls Church VA

Crazy like a Fox… Mad as a Hatter…

A
NG
P
G
VG
O


Mad Fox is a brewpub that opened just over a year ago in Falls Church, VA, and seems to have been crowded ever since.  I went there a couple times when they first opened, but haven’t been back in at least six months.  Honestly, previous visits have been inconsistent, both in the quality of the beer and the food.

Looks like they’re still working on it a bit. I had 2 beers last night, one was quite good and the other would most likely rate a passable.

The Orange Whip IPA caught my eye on the menu.  They use a relatively new type of hops called Citra, which is apparently a blend of a few different types of hops and produces a fresh, slightly fruity taste.  I’d say that this beer is just as fruity as Magic Hat #9, that is to say just enough to give a little extra taste, but not overpowering.

The 80 Schilling was a darker, malty beer, which seemed to be lacking any carbonation.  Pass.

Unfortunately, the food at Mad Fox is also hit or miss.  My wife had the mussels last night, which previously were quite good.  Last night they were overly slimy, and just not very good.  From what I’ve heard, the pizzas are actually pretty consistently good, and the sandwiches are generally a safe bet.

We ran into HHH, a frequent commenter here, and his family also out for dinner.  HHH, any comments on your beers?

3 comments:

  1. First beer was the India Ink black IPA - once it warmed a bit was quite good. Rich complex malt and esters, with Mt. Hood hops substantially present but not overwhelming. On the Jeff scale: VG. This beer arrived a bit too cold for the style, making it difficult to taste until I had drunk about half of it. Also had the Headcracker barley wine, nice English style barley wine, light in color and flavor profile. Hops present and fruity. Did not taste like an 8%'er, very drinkable, would give it a G.5. I had a Fennec Ale at the end of the night which I meant to order on cask; however forgot to specify so it came draft. This beer was more substantial than I expected for an ordinary bitter. Bigger body and bitterness level a bit high as well, which made me conclude it was brewed to be served on cask (cask ales are served warmer than regular beer; bitterness is more pronounced at colder temperatures, malt/sweetness comes out at warmer temperatures). I'd give it a G.5, might have been VG on cask, but that is mere speculation.

    As for food, I had the black bean burger and onion rings which was good. My wife had Steak and Frites which was also good. Our girls both had the chicken panini which they both raved about. So it was a good food and beer night for us as Mad Fox!

    HHH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I asked for it! All hail the beer geek!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes you did. So if I am a beer geek, what are you - a beer dork?

    HHH

    ReplyDelete