Monday, February 14, 2011

Day 45, Feb 15 / Three Dog Night!


Day 45 / February 14

Stoudt’s Brewing Company
Adamstown, PA
Avery Brewing Company
Boulder, CO
G



G




Dogfish Head Brewing Co.
Milton, DE

P





Three Dog Night!

First off, Happy Valentine’s Day to y’all.  Just chilling at home with my wife and daughter, nice steak dinner with risotto – yeah, I know, not so good for the weight loss program.

So I’m sitting in a training room at work today, waiting for a meeting to start and my co-worker (and fellow amateur blogger) Tony asks me what’s on tap for tonight.  I told him that I had 3 dog beers left in the fridge, but I really wanted to end the Dog Beer Run.  He says, “You know what that means?”  I say, “Ummm… no.”  And he says, “It’s a three dog night!”

So, thanks to the Tone Man for tonight’s theme.  Turns out it was three dark brown dogs (keeping up with last night’s theme).

So first up was Fat Dog Stout, an Imperial Oatmeal Stout from Stoudt’s Brewing Company in Adamstown, PA.  Yes, it was a Stoudt’s Stout.  I’ve visited Stoudt’s brewery, beer hall, restaurant and antique hall several times and have always had a great time at their Oktoberfest celebrations.  I’ll write more about that in a future post, but be sure to check out their website.

As I have previously noted, I’m not a huge stout beer fan, but it was Fat Dog, so how could I resist?  Any Imperial style of beer generally has a higher alcohol content – this was 9%.  And the oatmeal means that it is brewed with oats in addition to the other grains.  This had a heavy taste, slightly sweet, very filling.

Next up was Ellie’s Brown Ale from Avery Brewing Company in Boulder, Co.  The beer’s namesake is the dog on the label, the founder’s late Chocolate Lab Ellie.  This was a medium bodied brown ale, slightly nutty and lighter than the stout.

And the beer I’m nursing right now is a Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale, which, according to Dogfish, is the “original hybrid, a cross between a Scotch Ale, an India Pale Ale, and an American Brown.”  There’s definitely a lot going on here.  Most Dogfish beers are very complex, and this one is no exception.  It’s a bit too complex for my tastes, but it’s probably one of the more mainstream beers available from Dogfish.

Technically, only one beer counts for today, so let’s count the Stoudt’s Fat Dog Stout.

Tomorrow – the return of Fat, Drunk & Stupid to SHITT!



1 comment:

  1. I can hear them doing "Joy To The World" now!
    Good post!

    ReplyDelete