Monday, February 21, 2011

Day 51, Feb 20 / Budweiser American Ale


Day 51 / February 20

Anhueser-Busch  /  St. Louis, MO

A
NG
P
G
VG
O


In 2008, Anheuser Busch introduced this richer, more flavorful amber ale, to grab back a portion of the market that had migrated to microbrews and craft brews.

A friend in the beer business was able to score a few bottles in the summer before its official release.  I must admit I was surprised when I first tasted it that a good, hoppy beer like this had the name Budweiser on the label.

If you’re used to some of the other beers below, here’s how I’d say it stacks up:

Compared to Yuengling Lager >
Much better:  Much more complex flavor, no corn or rice, less “gassy”.

Compared to Samuel Adams Boston Lager >
Better: More hop character, better flavor.

Compared to Fat Tire Amber Ale >
Actually, just a notch behind Fat Tire.  In a blind taste test, I’m not sure who would win.

4 comments:

  1. I am almost shocked that you gave Budweiser product,I mean Invective product try. But I must agree, it is pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That should have read, Inbev product. They purchased Bud for a cool 52 billion in cash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree across the board-this is a solid "go-to" beer that almost everyone passes over because of the Budweiser label. Glad you put it out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have to say the one of these I had a couple years back (your house - Super Bowl - Stillers) was unimpressive. If they are trying to compete against craft beers, this one is bland by comparison, no distinguishing flavors. Yes it is an American pale ale but found it unexciting. Give me a Smutty Shoals pale ale or Southern Tier Phin and Matt's any time.

    - Henry

    ReplyDelete