Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Beers of Summer Beer Run Starts Tomorrow



Summer doesn't technically start until June 21, but The Beers of Summer Beer Run starts June 1, baby!  Most craft breweries (and some macro breweries) put out a summer seasonal beer, meant to be enjoyed on a hot summer day.  And that's exactly what I plan on doing.  For the next 30 days.

Starting tomorrow and for the entire month of June, every day will be a Summer Beer day.  So, what counts as a Summer Beer?
  • Any beer with the words Summer, Sun, Sunshine (or some other derivative) in the name or style of the beer,
  • Any beer with a picture of the sun on the label,
  • And maybe an occasional exception to the first 2 rules, but it will be for a pretty obvious reason.
  • BUT, a Summer Seasonal that doesn’t say it’s a Summer Beer on the label does not count, such as Flying Dog Woody Creek White.

And I've already stocked up – as of yesterday, I have stocked my beer fridge and pantry with 30 Summer beers that meet this criteria.  Click the picture below for a sneak peek at the Summer Beer Class of 2011.



Tell ya what – if you’ve got or find any Summer Beers not in my current lineup, bring them to me, and I will double up on my reviews a few days this month.

You know what else I found out?  In the DC area, our "big box" seller of wine and beer is Total Wine, and there's one near my office and another near my house.  They have a couple aisles of single bottles of craft and imported beers, which is where I've found many of the beers for this quest.  BUT, not everything they have in six packs is available on the single bottles shelves.  So I asked Mr. Total Wine Manager Guy if you could purchase single bottles of the other beers, and he said...  YES!  (As long as you don't crack open a sealed box, like a 12 pack.)  Confession:  I had already done this a couple times, but I felt a little guilty about it.

So, my beer choices just opened up quite a bit.  And if you're in the DC area, I encourage you to do a little sampling as well!

We’re also going to liven things up a bit this month.  In addition to a different Summer beer everyday, each day I’ll also give you a mystery link to a different summer song.  The rules on the songs are much looser, and I do take requests.  Summer songs are just songs that remind me (or you) of just kicking back on the deck or patio, hanging with friends, and drinking a cold summer brew.  They could be mellow, rocking, pop, soul, or (gasp) even country.  So what’s on your summer playlist?

Here’s a preview – just click the image to play the song!  Here’s a hint – this song inspired the name of this Beer Run!
Click Me!
  So relax, put up the hammock, and get ready for The Beers of Summer Beer Run!






No comments:

Post a Comment