Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Day 144, May 24 / Rowhouse Red


First beer pic w/ my new Droid Thunderbolt
- a little better than my Blackberry
Day 144  /  May 24, 2011

Philadelphia Brewing Company / Philadelphia, PA

A
NG
P
G
VG
O

We wrap up the Philadelphia Brewing Company Beer Run with Rowhouse Red, which is apparently PBC’s take on a farmhouse ale.  Now, I’m no expert on beer, but I just sampled my way through six days of American and Belgian farmhouse ales, and to quote comedian John Pinette, “I say nay nay.”  This was more like your basic American Red Ale, lower in hops and bitterness than a Pale Ale, with just a little bite from the hops.  Of all the PBC beers in this run, I’d say this is the most “sessionable.”

So, I guess my ranking of the PBC’s beers, favorite to least, would be:
1 - Pennsylvania Pale Ale
2 - Kenziger Beer
3 - Newbold IPA
4 - Walt Wit
5 - Fleur de Lehigh
6 - Rowhouse Red

So, if you’re traveling up or down I-95 this summer, is it worth a detour into Philadelphia to pick up a case of PBC?  I’ll give it a 50/50.  On the whole, I think the portfolio of beers from other Pennsylvania breweries Victory and Troeg’s are better.  Of course, that’s just my opinion, I could be wrong.

2 comments:

  1. It's your opinion, how could you be wrong? After all it is YOUR blog. Anyway I agree with you - Troegs and Victory are 2 excellent breweries.

    Cheers from I-85 in NC - just passed Red Oak brewery,
    Henry

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure what smell and taste they were going for. I tried this one a couple of nights ago, nice color, but... I am thinking the malt was mixed with an old mulch pile.

    ReplyDelete