Monday, April 25, 2011

Day 115, April 25 / Stegmaier Amber Lager


Day 115, April 25, 2011

The Lion Brewery / Wilkes-Barre, PA

Low expectations… met.

A
NG
P
G
VG
O

When I was a kid, I had a beer can collection.  Of course, I was too young to drink the beer, but I had a system.  I would scout out new and different cans at the store and convince my dad to buy them. It wasn’t too hard to convince Dad.  So I know I was responsible for my dad drinking at least one Stegmaier beer.  I know it’s too late now, but I just wanted to say, “I’m sorry, Dad.”

What am I talking about?  Dad drank Utica Club, Schaeffer, Schmidt’s, Carling Black Label and Genesee – and liked them!

My aunt and uncle actually lived down the road from the Lion Brewery (makers of Stegmaier), in Trucksville, PA on the back mountain.  We’d pass the mysterious brewery, with its big painted lion head, on the way to their house.

These days, the Lion Brewery is primarily a contract brewery shop, brewing a number of other labels’ “craft” beers and Pabst Blue Ribbon.  They also produce their own beers under the Stegmaier and Lions Head labels.

The Amber Lager poured a clear amber color with very little head.  The taste was a little sweet with burp-producing carbonation.  Even though this is supposed to be an all-malt beer, it tasted like it could have had adjuncts (corn or rice) in the mix.

In Pennsylvania, you have to buy beer by the case (you can get a 6-pack to go at a bar).  I definitely wouldn’t recommend a case of this, but you may see it in a 4 six pack mixed sampler – maybe the other beers are a little better.


No comments:

Post a Comment