Thursday, April 28, 2011

Day 117, April 27 / Vinyl Spring Lager


Day 117, April 27, 2011

Magic Hat Brewing Company / South Burlington, VT

A
NG
P
G
VG
O

The second beer in the Magic Hat Beer Run is a Spring / Summer seasonal.  This is billed as a Spring lager, but it's definitely hoppier than most lagers.  Wait, the Easter Bunny comes in the spring.  He hops.  The beer is hoppy.  It all makes sense now.  But why is it called Vinyl?  I dunno.

This is a clear amber colored beer, with a little sweet taste, and as I said before, a bit hoppy.  I don’t know about you, but I like my lagers a little lighter.  If I gave half-points, this would be a P.5, but I round up.  That’s just the kind of guy I am.

When I was halfway through drinking this beer Wednesday night, frequent commenter HHH (Henry) stopped by with a few beers to drink, and a few for the future.  We split the following beers, all of which we pretty darn good:

- 16 Mile Out Court Ale (Delaware)
- Long Trail Brewmaster Series Imperial Porter (Vermont)
- Port City Porter (new, from Alexandria, VA)

And left me with the following beers, that I'm sure you'll be hearing about in the future:

- Port City Optimal Wit
- Port City Essential Pale Ale
- Southern Tier IPA

Thanks, Dude!

1 comment:

  1. First off, you're welcome! And thanks for the bottles you gave me for later. Drank the Vinyl tonite. Didn't taste too many hops, mostly was surprised by the dark malt (Chocolate malt?) flavor in that beer. It's a good beer, but "Spring Lager" makes one think a little lighter; this one has a rich malt character with a light brown color (see picture above). Hops are certainly present to balance the malt but not rxcessive, just a bit more chewy than I expected. Definitely looking forward to the Turbo Dog (their best IMHO), and absolutely the Demo (Black) IPA.

    Cheers
    Henry

    ReplyDelete