Sunday, April 10, 2011

Day 99, April 9 / Henry’s Maibock

Day 99 / April 9, 2011

Henry’s Maibock
Henry’s Garage / Fairfax, VA

A
NG
P
G
VG
O

99 Bottles of Beer in My Belly

Day 99.  As I expected, finding 365 different beers wouldn’t be the real challenge of this quest.  Wanting to have a beer every day is the real challenge. Some days you just want a day off.  But that’s a different story.

Frequent commenter here HHH is my friend Henry, who is also a beer geek (it’s a compliment) and also a home brewer.  I’ve known Henry for years, and I was there in his early days of home brewing.  Back then, you were always a little reluctant to try Henry’s latest creation. He hadn’t honed his craft yet.

But that was a long time ago.  Now I look forward to Henry’s beers.  I’m guessing he makes 5 to 8 different brews a year.  He has made special batches for relative’s weddings.

Last night he brought along his latest Maibock.  I apologize for the bad picture, but it poured a deep copper color, with a two finger head.  It was tasty and a little sweet.

Henry, you would be so kind to share some comments about your Maibock?

1 comment:

  1. The Maibock was brewed on Nov. 12, 2010 and bottled on Jan. 22, 2011.

    Ingredients:
    11.5 lb. Belgian Pilsner malt
    1 lb. Castle Belgian pilsner malt toasted in oven at 350 for 10 min
    1 lb. German light Munich
    2 oz. Belgian aromatic malt
    3 oz. Dingeman’s CaraVienne 20 L Mild Caramel
    .5 lb. Dextrine malt (Cara-Pils)
    .5 oz. Weyermann chocolate wheat
    2 oz. Hersbrucker hop pellets 3.1 alpha (boil)
    .5 oz. Hersbrucker 3.1 alpha pellets (15 min.)
    Irish moss – 1/2 tsp (last 15 min.)
    Lager Yeast

    This beer came in second in the Herndon Worthogs February Bock club competition.

    I enjoy drinking this beer. I find it very refreshing, a decent interpretation of the Maibock style. Next time I would add a bit more hop character as I find it a bit on the sweet side, although that is acceptable in a bock (so long as it is not cloying). I really enjoyed the hop aroma and flavor in Dominion's Big Thaw maibock this year, and would try to duplicate that hop character next time.

    Cheers
    Henry

    ReplyDelete