Saturday, April 2, 2011

Day 91, April 1 / Ommegang Rare Vos

Day 91 / April 1, 2011

Brewey Ommegang  /  Cooperstown, NY

April Fools!

Yeah, it was a day late, but it was for the beer I allegedly drank (or didn’t drink) on April 1.

Did you fall for it?  Yeah, I didn’t think so.

So, I’m still happily off the wagon.  Yesterday with my friend Patrick I stopped into a new place by the office, Stone’s Cove Kit Bar.  Kit Bar?  What’s that?  It’s a new concept, apparently, combing the Kitchen and the Bar – thus, Kit Bar.  The kitchen is literally in the middle of the bar, which is oddly shaped with lots of corners, so you can seat a group of 5 or so at the bar and all be looking at each other.  The place is staffed with chef-tenders, who make your drinks and your food.

Had this one too, but it
doesn't count.
Anyway, the beer list was quite varied, containing everything from Stroh’s to Ommengang.  And yes, I had one of each.

The Ommengang Rare Vos is a Belgian Style Amber Ale, but it is not as strong in taste or alcohol as many Belgian Ales.  After a very unfortunate and foamy pour (my fault), the beer settled to a nice bright orange color, just slightly cloudy with a formidable head.

The taste was very refreshing, with hints of spice and citrus, and extremely enjoyable.  I should have had another instead of the Stroh’s that I was talked into.

Ommegang Rare Vos is named after a Brussels bar made famous as the starting point for bicycle and pigeon races, and it has earned the honor of being my first Outstanding beer of the year.

A
NG
P
G
VG
O


And had this one
with dinner.
And it’s time to announce the March Beer of the Month – the weekly winners were:
- Clipper City Loose Cannon
- Cotleigh Barn Owl Premium Bitter Ale
- Rogue Irish Lager
- Schlafly American Pale Ale

And the BOTM for March is Clipper City Loose Cannon!

No comments:

Post a Comment