Saturday, July 2, 2011

Day 180, June 29 / Leinenkugel’s Summer Shandy


Day 180 /  June 29, 2011

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company / Chippewa Falls, WI

A
NG
P
G
VG
O

I like beer (duh).  I like lemonade (who doesn’t?).  But….

Hey, it said “Summer” on the label.  And it’s mostly beer (it’s 4.2% alcohol).  By definition, a shandy is a beer mixed with carbonated lemonade or other citrus/fruit flavored soda.  In Germany, this type of drink is called a Radler (German for "cyclist") or an Alster (river in northern Germany). In France and in Italy, it is called a panaché ("mixed"). In Spain it is xampu ("shampoo").

I call it nasty.  While I occasionally like a little fruit taste in my beer (the Clown Shoes Clementine White Ale from the other night was excellent), this was way too much, and way too sweet.  In the glass, it was very yellow, with a foamy head, kind of like a lemon meringue pie (think about washing that pie down with a beer).  It had a smell not unlike Lemon Pledge.

Think about this – try pouring half of a Harpoon Summer Beer and half of a Mike’s Hard Lemonade into the same glass.  Would you drink that?  No?  Then don’t drink this!

Song of Summer:  While I don’t like shandy, I do want candy!

No comments:

Post a Comment