Saturday, July 16, 2011

Day 196, July 15 / Lake Placid Hefeweizen


Day 196 /  July 15, 2011

Lake Placid Craft Brewing Company / Lake Placid and Utica, NY

A
NG
P
G
VG
O

Automobiles, Ferries, Harry Potter and a Beer

We started our journey home from Martha’s Vineyard on Friday, with plans to make it as far as Milford, Connecticut.  What’s in Milford?  Not much, as far as I can tell.  More on that later…

We took a pleasant ferry ride from the island to the Cape, and tooled around Falmouth, MA for a little while, had lunch, and then hit the highway.  I-195 and I-95, out of Massachusetts, through Rhode Island and into Connecticut.  Milford was a stopping point about 2.5 hours outside of Newark, NJ.  Why Newark?  More on that later…

About a mile from our hotel was apparently the crown jewel of Milford, CT, the Connecticut Post Shopping Mall.  The place was booming!  Dinner in the food court (acceptable), the final Harry Potter movie at the Multiplex (thumbs up), and a beer at Buffalo Wild Wings before hitting the hotel.  By the way, a shout out to both the Hyatt Place in Milford and the Holiday Inn Express in Mystic CT for being clean, comfortable family friendly hotels!

So, at BWW (not to be confused with BBW), I had a Lake Placid Hefeweizen.  I have seen Lake Placid brews before down in the DC area, but not in a while. A little research tells me that most of Lake Placid’s beers for wide distribution are now being contract brewed by Matt’s / Saranac Brewing in Utica, NY.  They also still brew at the original brewpub in Lake Placid, NY.

The Lake Placid Hefeweizen was, well… average.  Really just what you’d expect in a Hefeweizen, nothing more, nothing less.  With sampling all these different beers this year, I feel that I’m becoming a little jaded – always looking for something different in a beer.  But sometimes, a beer is a just a beer.

Why Newark?  Well, the family dropped me off at the train station in Newark, NJ, and they are continuing on to Cape May, NJ for another week of vacation.  So I’m finishing up this post from the “Quiet Car” on the Amtrak to DC.  And believe me, they take this “Quiet Car” stuff seriously.  I’ve seen one woman asked to move to another car because she was talking (quietly) on her cell phone, and another family get shushed!  Actually, it’s kinda nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment