Saturday, July 2, 2011

Day 182, July 1 / Leffe Blonde

Day 182 /  July 1, 2011

Abbaye de Leffe S.A. / Belgium

A
NG
P
G
VG
O

Halfway there!  On the beers, at least…

OK campers, if you’ve been paying attention, I have now gone 6 months with a different beer every day, no repeats and no skips.  And truth be told, I’d say that there’s been about 25 or more other different beers that I’ve had this year that weren’t the beer of the day.  So that’s good…

On the 50 pounds front… OK, so that was a lofty goal.  I was making good progress in Q1, but I actually regressed a little in Q2.  I just don’t know how to turn back that little weight loss widget over there.  I’ll try harder the rest of the year, I promise!

So now that the Summer Beer Run is over, my beer choices open up quite a bit.  Last night, I went down to the Kennedy Center to see Shear Madness with the family.  It’s literally been running there for over 20 years, and this is the first time we’ve been to see it.  It was quite funny, and I think they actually change it up quite a bit from time to time.

We were looking for a quick place to eat near the Kennedy Center, and we found Tonic at Quigley’s Pharmacy, located near the George Washington University campus, in the old Quigley’s pharmacy building.  It’s a good pub and restaurant with an outdoor patio and a pretty good beer selection.

Leffe Blonde is a Belgian Abbey ale, now owned by InBev and brewed at the Stella Artois brewery.  The Leffe website has a nice recounting of their history.

The Leffe Blonde was served to me in its native goblet, a golden blonde, cloudy beer, with a thick, off-white head.  There is a slight sweetness to the beer, and a lot of tastes going on here – you may notice honey, banana, cloves.  If you are a fan of light Belgian Ales, I encourage you to check this one out!


No comments:

Post a Comment