Monday, July 4, 2011

Day 184, July 3 / Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale


Day 184 /  July 3, 2011


Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Company  /  Lexington, KY

A
NG
P
G
VG
O

OK, I guess I am unofficially on a funky flavored Beer Run. 

My friend Mark travelled back to his home state of of Ohio, and brought me back a couple bottles of Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale, from Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Company (that’s a mouthful).

Alltech is a actually a global corporation whose primary business is research and production of livestock feed, supplements and health products.  Many of those products contain yeast.  In 1999, Alltech purchased and retooled an historic brewery in downtown Lexington, and began producing beer in 2000.  They also brew Kentucky Ale and Kentucky Light, a Koslch-style beer.  Their beers are currently only available in Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana, Wisconsin, and Massachusetts.

You’ll often see Stouts aged in Oak or Bourbon Barrels.  I have had a very good Bourbon Ale before at the Thirsty Bear brewpub in San Francisco.

This Bourbon Ale is aged for up to 6 weeks in freshly decanted barrels from Kentucky bourbon distilleries, so the bourbon taste (and alcohol) is very strong.  There was almost no head on this pour, the color was definitely made darker by the bourbon.

While I was looking forward to this beer, I think I will stick with a bourbon a beer chaser.


No comments:

Post a Comment