Sunday, July 17, 2011

Day 198, July 17 / Fuller’s London Pride


Day 198 /  July 17, 2011

Griffin Brewery / London, England

A
NG
P
G
VG
O

Fuller’s London Pride is the flagship beer of the Fuller line, and is considered by many to be the benchmark of the English Pale Ale style.  Fuller’s has a long and storied history, that you can find on their website.

This beer poured a dark golden color with a substantial head.  It had a nice malty smell, and a malty taste to go with it.  English Pales are one of my favorite styles of beers.  But I would have to say that the Hobgoblin Dark English Ale I had earlier this year was just a bit better.


2 comments:

  1. Not sure about the flagship thing, which in many cases is a dubious distinction -- meaning that beer is not my favorite in that brewery's line-up such as Magic Hat #9 (they make several that are better); Anchor Steam (I prefer Liberty), etc.

    That is true here as well. I tried London Pride once and while it was fine, perfectly drinkable, I prefer and highly recommend Fuller's ESB. If you can find it on draft or cask, it is difficult to beat. Be advised in bottles it has a noticeable diacetyl flavor so I tend to avoid it in bottles.

    Regarding benchmarks, Young's represents London ales. Bass has been considered the benchmark of English Burton pale ales, although it is presently a mere shadow of its former self. Another I would recommend is Young's RamRod altho it is actually a strong ale. Of course Sam Smith's is another excellent example, however it is from Yorkshire.

    Actually the time I tried London Pride believe it was on a nitro tap, which changes a beer's character. I call it 'Dolby for beer' as its effect is to remove the highs and the lows and leave you with what's in the middle. So maybe I should give it a try in the bottle some time, or if I can find it on CO2 or cask, give it another chance.

    Cheers
    HHH

    ReplyDelete
  2. The flagship product generally represents either the best selling product, or the original product in the line, not necessarily the best in the lineup.

    I am also a big fan of Fuller's ESB, and have had it on draft in London - delicious!

    ReplyDelete