Monday, July 11, 2011

Day 191, July 10 / Ipswich Original Ale


Day 191 /  July 10, 2011

Ipswich Ale (Mercury) Brewery  /  Ipswich, MA

A
NG
P
G
VG
O

Mass. Consumption

I’m on vacation for a few days on Martha’s Vineyard, so I thought I would continue my theme of drinking locally by drinking only beers made in Massachusetts for the next few days.  Actually, full disclosure, I may have some non-Mass. beers, but I will be blogging about the Mass. beers.

I wanted to get off to a good start, so I located a beer and liquor store online in Cape Cod, that we could hit before we boarded the ferry.  Yesterday was Sunday, so Kappy’s Liquors didn’t open ‘til noon.  We pulled into the parking lot at 11:45am, and there were already a few people waiting in line at the door.  We had 15 minutes to kill, so we poked around in the store around the corner.  When we came back at 12:05, the Kappy’s parking lot and store were packed.  These people need to get their drink on!

I picked up three variety 12 packs from Wachusett, Ipswich and Casco Bay breweries.  Casco Bay Brewery is actually in Portland, Maine, so those will be some of the other beers.  And this beer isn’t all for me - we’ve rented a house with my brother and sister and their families too.  And yes, that should explain the glass in the picture – this rental house doesn’t have quite the selection of beer glasses that I do.

Ipswich is on the northern coast of Mass, not too far the New Hampshire border.  It looks like their beers are only available in MA, NH, CT and NJ.  Their Original Ale is unfiltered English style ale.  Definitely quaffable – you can (and I did) have a few of these at one sitting.  There is a good balance between malt and hops.

Now this is pretty cool – if you live near the brewery, you can rent one of their 3 TapMobiles for your event.  Click the picture below for more details.



2 comments:

  1. Try the Ipswich IPA - as I recall it's pretty tasty. And my brewschool buddy Tony likes Wachusett, so I'd be interested to hear how you like that one. If you want I can ping Tony for other MA recommendations; he lives there.

    Cheers
    HHH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tony also recommends Pretty Things, White Birch, and Berkshire brewery.

    Cheers
    HHH

    ReplyDelete