Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Day 12, Jan 12 / Breckenridge 471 ESB Extra Special Bitter

Day 12 / Jan 12

Breckenridge Brewery  / Denver, CO

Well isn’t that Special??

Where:         Lost Dog Café, Arlington VA

A
NG
P
G
VG
O


Choices, choices – there are definitely a lot of them at the Lost Dog Café (and Gourmet Pizza) in the Westover neighborhood of Arlington.  This place has been there about 20 years, serving up a great beer selection, sandwiches and pizzas.  Even on a Wednesday evening, we had to wait over 20 minutes for a table.

While we waited, I scanned the beer coolers for my selection, and got some inspiration for future theme weeks (stay tuned).  My choice this evening was the Breckenridge ESB – I’ve had a couple of their beers before and enjoyed them.  The ESB had a nice reddish brown color and frothy head.  To my palette, ESB’s often come between a Pale Ale (on the low end) and an India Pale Ale (on the higher end) in terms of hoppiness and bitterness.  All in all, this was an enjoyable beer.  Thank you, may I have another?

SIDE NOTES:  Across the street is the Westover Market, which is a small grocery store that claims to have over 750 800 900 beers (depending on which sign or banner you read).  I haven’t been in the store in years, certainly not since they’ve specialized in beer, so I decided to check it out.  OMG – perhaps the largest beer selection I’ve seen in the DC area.  They have filled most of the produce coolers with beer.  You can't find celery there, but you can get at least 50 different Belgian Ales.  Beers from all over the country and the world, in all sizes.  Have you ever seen 7 oz. Rogue bottles?  They’ve got 'em.  Plus they open a beer garden in warmer months.

If you have problems making choices, a couple doors down is the The Forest Inn Bar & Grill, which I stopped in for the first (and most likely last) time.  They have exactly 1 beer on tap – Budweiser.  Their bottle selection was, I seem to recall, Bud Light, Coors Light, Miller Lite, Bud, Yuengling and Corona.  There were about 7 locals in there, and about 100 elephant figurines.

No comments:

Post a Comment