Thursday, January 20, 2011

Day 20, Jan 20 / 2° Below Winter Ale

Day 20 / Jan 20

New Belgium Brewing Company  /  Fort Collins, CO

Where:         At Home, purchased in NC

A
NG
P
G
VG
O


I finished up my New Belgium Beer Run with a winter seasonal, 2° Below Winter Ale, which was an enjoyable beer.  It’s an amber/copper color, not too hoppy, a little fruity.  If you like New Belgium’s Fat Tire, you’ll probably like this too.

Apparently, my palate is nowhere near as refined as this guy’s, who reviewed 2 Below on BeerAdvocate.com:

              Smell :  Huge cracker based malt, sesame seeds, pine nuts, toasted white bread, almonds, and berry fruit.

             Taste:  Excellent cracker malt, with notes of toffee, Granny smith apple peels, butterscotch, and caramel.

When I see reviews like this of beers or wines, with all those flavors and tastes listed, it reminds me of that scene in Willy Wonka, where Wonka describes the gum that contains all the flavors of a 3 course meal.

I can just see the beer drinker above sipping this beer like Violet Beauregard, saying,

“So long as it’s beer and that’s for me.  Fabulous!  It’s toasted white bread!  Warm and toasty, I can actually feel the butterscotch running down my throat!  Hey, the second course is coming up – cracker malt and notes of toffee!  Desert?  Here it comes!  Granny Smith Apples and caramel!  It’s the most marvelous beer I’ve ever tasted!”


Shall we roll on?

No comments:

Post a Comment