Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Day 25, Jan 25 / Firestone Walker Pale 31 California Pale Ale


Day 25 / Jan 25

Firestone Walker Brewing Company  /  Paso Robles, CA
 
A
NG
P
G
VG
O

Must be the Fuggles…

Firestone-Walker Brewery in Paso Robles, CA specializes in Pale Ales – their three year-round brews are the Union Jack IPA, DBA (Double Barrell Ale) English Pale, and the Pale 31 California Pale Ale.  Several of their beers are aged in an oak barrel fermenting system.

The Pale 31 is an American Pale Ale.  According to Beer Advocate, American Pale Ales tend to be cleaner and hoppier, while British Pale Ales tend to be more malty, buttery, aromatic and balanced.

I’ve actually had the F-W Pale 31 before (but not this year), and I wanted to make sure I got into this year’s selection.  It’s extremely tasty pale ale, with just the right amount of hops for my taste – just slightly bittered by the hops.

Four types of hops are used in this beer: 
    Bittering:  Fuggles
    Late Kettle:  Cascade, Centennial, Chinnok
    Dry Hops:  Cascade, Centennial, Chinook

Here’s a good resource if you’d like to learn more about dry hopping (sounds dirty, but its not).

8 comments:

  1. Ah, excellent choice! I love this beer, actually tried to duplicate it once. Did not really get close, although the beer did turn out pretty tasty. Much better than their Union Jack IMHO.

    Cheers
    Henry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressed. Finally a beer that ranks a VG with you.

    Rosita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally? This is the 5th VG this month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Bro, are you really losing weight on this diet? kolet

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am losing a few pounds, but it's not by drinking beer. That just happens to be something I am doing simultaneously (which is more fun).

    I don't yet have an "official" weight loss program or strategy. Month 1 is "Stop being stupid and get off your ass." No McD's or bagels with cream cheese on the way to work, better (for me) lunches, smaller portions, getting on the elliptical every 2 days.

    Burning off some excess blubber, I guess.

    I have a Weigh-in for the The Biggest Loser contest at work today - will report back after that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought maybe you had a secret diet, that I had not heard of, that was actually fun. But I am disappointed. Your weight loss program is as "womp- womp" as the rest of them-you mean you actually have to exercise and not get to eat anything you want. I had high hopes from you, Mr. Davidson! It's a sad, sad day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, unfortunately, I am not "Not Losing Weight BY Drinking Beer. I am merely attempting to be "Losing Weight AND Drinking Beer."

    If I had figured out the former, I would be rich!

    ReplyDelete
  8. More time on the treadmill may be required.

    ReplyDelete