Sunday, January 9, 2011

Day 9, Jan 9 / Jolly Scot Scottish Style Ale

Day 9 / Jan 9

Appalachian Brewing Co / Harrisburg, PA

Where:         At Home

A
NG
P
G
VG
O

No so Great Scot…


Beer Advocate describes a Scottish Ale as follows:

Scottish Ales traditionally go through a long boil in the kettle for a caramelization of the wort. This produces a deep copper to brown in colored brew and a higher level of unfermentable sugars which create a rich mouthfeel and malty flavors and aromas. Overall hop character is low, light floral or herbal, allowing its signature malt profile to be the highlight. Smoky characters are also common.

Yeah, OK.  I have had several Scottish Ales over the years.  Hell, I even made a batch of Scottish Ale around 10 years ago at Shenandoah Brewing Company, a brew-on-premise in Alexandria, VA.

So in comparison, ABC’s Jolly Scott is just kinda… meh.  Not terrible, drinkable, a little flat, but really nothing special.  The type of beer that you (OK, me) wouldn’t order a second glass of, because it just wasn’t that interesting.

I did have the opportunity to vist the Appalachian Brewpub in Harrisburg a couple years ago on a beer roadtrip – it’s a cool old building, the food was pretty good, and I didn’t have the Scottish Ale.

Appalachian recently (last 6 months) distributing bottles into Virginia.

P.S.  Logged my first session on the elliptical today.  Legs feel like rubber.

3 comments:

  1. I see you're using one of those engineered beer glasses; they can drastically change the taste of a beer. Knowing how thorough you are, can we assume you are also tasting from a regular glass in the name of scientific integrity?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that is one of those specialized Sam Adams glasses, and I must say that beer MAY taste a little better in them. I wouldn't call it a drastic change.

    Scientific integrity? Believe me, come beer festival season I will be drinking some of these beers out of plastic cups and hoping I can remember their names!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't say better, I said change....I find that it varies from beer; some are somewhat better, or at least different, and I have had some that are actually ruined in that glass. Just sayin'- it's your blog....and beer.

    ReplyDelete